- Masters of Business Administration, Rice University
- Medical Doctorate & Bachelor of the Art of Obstetrics, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Bachelor of Arts, Comparative Literature and History, Hamilton College
Douglas Monroe, MD
Dr. Douglas Monroe has 20 years of healthcare experience, including strategy and strategic planning, physician engagement, clinical integration, accountable care, high reliability, clinical operations and large integrated consulting engagements. Previously, Doug was the System Director of Quality, Patient Safety and Infection Control at Memorial Hermann Health System. He led efforts to engage and align an independent, employed and academic medical staff of over 5,000 physicians at 11 hospitals in evidence-based performance improvement tied to increased reimbursement.
Doug previously delivered multiple successful strategic and clinical integration consulting engagements at both Wellspring Partners and Huron Healthcare. He has helped large systems, academic medical centers and community hospitals align governance, strategy, operations and outcomes with evidence-based clinical excellence, emerging healthcare reimbursement models, market demand and increased risk.
- Designed methodology for clinical integration and physician engagement, including data-driven, evidence-based clinical outcomes improvement.
- Implemented redesign of system level quality standards and incentives to align with national standards.
- Project Director for a major strategic assessment at an 11-hospital system in the South, including competitive market review and ACA-based financial modelling and projections.
- Led a strategy and clinical integration engagement at a 2-hospital system in the Southeast, including market-based demand analysis and clinical integration.
- Project Director for a major strategic realignment for a 5-hospital system in the Northeast, including market-based demand analysis, asset rationalization and clinical integration.
- Served as lead consultant for Memorial Hermann Health System on projects requiring clinical, industry, governance, strategy, management, communication and presentation expertise.
- System Director of Quality, Patient Safety & Infection Control (QPSIC), Memorial Hermann Healthcare System
- Consultant, Huron Healthcare and Wellspring Partners
- Owner, Adminisphere Consulting – Strategic Quality Communications
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- “Healthcare Game of Thrones: Think All the Talk Means the End of Value-Based Care? Winter is Still Coming." Becker's Hospital Review | August 2017
- “The Financial Benefits of Clinical Integration: One ACO's Perspective,” HFMA’s 2017 National Institute (June 2017)
- “The healthcare executive’s 2-minute read on priorities in 2017: Physician operations, clinical performance, physician engagement and clinical integration," Becker's Hospital Review (June 2017)
- “The hospital executive’s star rating playbook: The 5-point guide to improving your rating," Becker's Hospital Review (December 2016)
- “The effects of CMS’ star ratings: 5 things hospital leaders should know," Becker's Hospital Review (September 2016)
- “Could Your Organization Survive if Medicare Was Your Best Payer?" (March 2015)
Awards and Distinctions
- Keynote speaker for The Joint Commission’s Annual Physician Leadership Forum since 2012
- Keynote speaker for the Military Health System’s 2012 Strategic Planning Process at the invitation of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs
- 2012 John M Eisenberg Award for Patient Safety – National Level, Lead Author
- 2009 National Quality Forum Award – National Level, Lead Author
- 2009 Best New Examiner – Quality Texas (National Baldrige Affiliate)