- Master of Business Administration, McCallum Graduate School of Business, Bentley College
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Massachusetts
Stephen D. Lothrop
Steve Lothrop brings 20 years of experience helping healthcare providers optimize productivity and margins. He is an expert in labor management, particularly the balance of service, cost and quality, operations, physician relationship management, organizational structure and corporate overhead improvements.
Prior to joining Prism, Steve held leadership positions in the healthcare practices of two global consulting firms as well as The Healthcare Management Council. He also served as Executive Director at Heywood Hospital in Massachusetts, where he worked with executives and board members in the areas of market analysis, strategic development and operations improvement.
- Led an engagement at a New England academic medical center that was experiencing dramatic changes in reimbursement and cost pressures. Developed a system-wide productivity monitoring system and organized front-line management education, delivering $26 million in savings, exceeding target by 30%.
- Coached senior leadership of an academic medical center to achieve major productivity improvements in departments throughout the hospital and implement a more effective organizational structure that flattened and streamlined management structure. The project exceeded the original savings target by 75%.
- Developed management tools, installed quality and service indicators and provided key management training for a partnership between a large teaching facility and group purchasing organization. Created a just-in-time inventory delivery process that delivered 15% in combined institutional savings on a unit cost basis.
- Trained front-line managers to identify customer needs and develop tools to measure continuous progress towards institutional goals through the use of short interval scheduling. Hospital savings equaled a 300% return on investment on the cost of services in one year, with dramatic measurable increases in quality and service.
- Worked with hospital staff to improve outpatient service delivery to emergent and non-emergent inpatient population. At the completion of that engagement, facility achieved record-breaking patient satisfaction Jackson Survey results.
- Led design of rapid strategy deployment, serving as program manager, redesign specialist and workshop facilitator to engage Board Members, physicians, managers and staff in strategic planning and redesign of mission critical processes. Performed market analysis, financial impact and scenario planning.
- Managing Director, Huron Consulting Group
- Director, The Healthcare Management Council, Inc.
- Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Vice President Operations, Family Pharmacy
- Director of Operational Redesign, Heywood Hospital
- Project Manager, West Hudson and Co. Inc.
- “8 things to know about best practices for labor infrastructure Becker’s Hospital Review | November 2017
- “Controlling Healthcare Costs Through Productivity and Quality,” For the Record (April 2006)
- “Achieving Productivity and Quality: The Trustee’s Role,” Trustee Magazine (December 2006)