Clinical Integration and Physician Engagement
Improving quality and patient safety while decreasing costs and demonstrating value are the primary challenges for healthcare leaders. Hospitals struggle to measure and manage key clinical metrics without an integrated physician and clinician engagement strategy coupled with strong clinician leadership in the C-suite.
Prism’s consultants, including physicians, are experts in establishing robust and sustainable physician-led, decision-making and problem-solving infrastructures. We provide the strategic and advisory support services that allow clinical integration to take root and flourish over the long term.
True clinical integration results from success in five critical areas:
- Leadership and culture. We support board and leadership’s understanding of performance improvement, clinical integration, and reporting processes. Goals should align with the strategic plan, and there must be a system of accountability and positive reinforcement.
- Management structure and reporting processes. Prism will help you establish cyclical, transparent reporting processes that shorten the distance between the bedside and C-suite. We’ll show you how to use a specialty-focused committee infrastructure, paired with key support resources, as an improvement engine.
- Physician and provider engagement. Your hospital’s reputation and level of reimbursement depend on performance in hundreds of metrics. You can’t control them all from the C-suite; your physicians must help you improve care. It is imperative to include physicians in the decision-making process at every level. They can design and lead the improvement infrastructure and initiatives, but they must also champion appropriate accountability measures among themselves.The first step is getting physicians to say ‘yes’ to participating. Prism uses proven strategies to engage physicians, as well as educate and impart structure that allows for expedited decision making, clinician self-governance, and clear demonstration of return on investment for your improvement enterprise.
- Data analysis. Information only becomes useful once it’s prioritized, vetted, analyzed, and validated by clinicians. Prism’s team helps hospitals establish clear expectations and analytic processes to improve clinical performance metrics. We will show you how compelling, appropriately vetted and validated data can help physicians and clinicians understand and support change.
- Performance improvement. Whether trying to decrease surgical site infections or reduce readmissions, we will help your staff understand how a standardized approach to performance improvement, as well as rapid education cycles for key bedside stakeholders, leads to ‘automatic’ and continuous improvement and sustainment.
George Whetsell, FACHE and Timothy Ogonoski | July 2017
An action plan for leaders: 5 questions on hospital performance improvement amid political uncertainty
Brad Fetters and Ramona Lacy, FACHE | July 2017
Webinar | June 21, 2017
The healthcare executive’s 2-minute read on priorities in 2017: Physician operations, clinical performance, physician engagement and clinical integration
George Whetsell, FACHE, Bonnie Barndt-Maglio, RN, PhD, Barbara Bryan, BSN, Timothy Ogonoski and Douglas Monroe, MD | June 2017
George Whetsell, FACHE and Douglas Monroe, MD | December 2016
George Whetsell, FACHE and Douglas Monroe, MD | July 2016